People Insights
Contact Us
Get in touch
Contact Us
Published On: November 18, 2019 | Blog | 0 comments

What is a Disabled Facility Grant and how can I apply for one?

A Disabled Facility Grant (DFG) is a grant provided by a local council, to fund adaptation works to a property in order to meet a disabled person’s needs and make it more accessible for them.

In order to qualify , the applicant must be either:-

  1. A homeowner;
  2. A private tenant;
  3. A landlord with a disabled tenant;
  4. A local authority tenant;
  5. A housing association tenant.

The adaptation works can include but are not restricted to:-

  1. Installing a ramp or handrails to the front of the property and possibly the back door if recommended by an OT;
  2. Widening the entrance door and possibly the back door if recommended by an OT;
  3.  Installing a stair lift or a through floor lift;
  4. Adaptations to bathrooms and toilets, including flush floor showers, specialist WCs and Closo-mats;
  5. Ensuring access to a room to sleep in;
  6. Facilitating the preparation and cooking of food;
  7. Adjusting the height and position of light switches and plug sockets;
  8. Installing an enhanced fire alarm for those with hearing difficulties.

An application for a DFG is made  by applying to the local council within which the property is located. Further information can be found on this website

A grant of up to £30,000 can be awarded in England, up to £36,000 in Wales and up to £25,000 in Northern Ireland. Its important to note that the grant will not impact on an individual’s welfare benefits entitlement. The grant will either be paid in instalments or in a lump sum, on completion of the works.

The local council is also likely to instruct an occupational therapist, who will undertake an assessment and recommend what works are appropriate for the persons needs. This is often done alongside a private OT’s input who is able to make representations on behalf of a disabled individual to the local authority. All works will need to be deemed appropriate and proportionate.

With regards to repayment of the grant, each council will have its own policy. However, generally the grant will not need to be paid back if the applicant remains living at the property for an extended period after the works have completed.  Some local authorities will place a charge against the property, that will have to be re-paid, if the disabled person moves out and sells the adapted property a few years after the works have been completed. It is important to understand the relevant council’s policy in that regard before taking up the offer of a grant.

If you need assistance in applying for a disabled facility grant, contact our Court of Protection team and we will be happy to assist you.

*Disclaimer: The information on the Anthony Gold website is for general information only and reflects the position at the date of publication. It does not constitute legal advice and should not be treated as such. It is provided without any representations or warranties, express or implied.*

Get in touch

Call, email or use a contact form – whichever suits you. We’ll let you know the best person to help you get started.

Call or Email

020 7940 4060


Add your comment

We need your name and email address to make sure you’re a real person. We won’t share your email address with anyone else or send you spam. Please complete fields marked with *.

2 thoughts on “What is a Disabled Facility Grant and how can I apply for one?

  1. I need help with a DFG application please. It was submitted.
    The LA OT and surveyor originally said it was a goer. The OT then rang up to say following discussions with her supervisor, they could no longer find the first option but suggested two others that are totally unworkable.
    They have not followed their own guidance or the government guidance re DFGs.

Leave a Reply

Your email address and phone number will not be published on the website. Other visitors will not be able to see your contact information. Required fields are marked *

Contact Us

How can we help?

Request a Call Back

How can we help?