People Insights
Contact Us
Get in touch
Contact Us
Published On: September 22, 2017 | Blog | 0 comments

Do I need permission to move my child to a new school?

The short answer is probably yes.

If you are married you automatically share “parental responsibility” with your spouse or former spouse.

The same applies to the majority of unmarried couples where both are named on the birth certificate.

In these circumstances no person may:

  • Cause the child to be known by a new surname.
  • Remove the child from England and Wales.

without the consent of the other parent or a court order.

Parental responsibility as a concept includes important issues such as where a child is educated.  The courts have often said that consultation on choice of school is required.  In practice this means schools will want to see the involvement of both parents.

If there is a dispute regarding choice of school the initial step would be to consider mediation.  If that is unsuccessful the last resort will be an application for a “specific issue” order using Form C100.  The issue to be decided by the court is which school serves the best interests of the child.

For further advice on education and specific issue applications contact Kim Beatson by email to or by telephone 020 7940 4000.

* Disclaimer: The information on the Anthony Gold website is for general information only and reflects the position at the date of publication. It does not constitute legal advice and should not be treated as such. It is provided without any representations or warranties, express or implied.*

Get in touch

Call, email or use a contact form – whichever suits you. We’ll let you know the best person to help you get started.

Call or Email

020 7940 4060

No comments

Add your comment

We need your name and email address to make sure you’re a real person. We won’t share your email address with anyone else or send you spam. Please complete fields marked with *.

Leave a Reply

Your email address and phone number will not be published on the website. Other visitors will not be able to see your contact information. Required fields are marked *

Contact Us

How can we help?

Request a Call Back

How can we help?