People Insights
Contact Us
Get in touch
Contact Us
Published On: October 9, 2017 | Blog | 0 comments

Do I need to make an application to the COP to sell P’s house if I am Deputy?

When P is sole-owner?

The Deputy order may contain a clause explicitly prohibiting the Deputy from selling, charging or otherwise disposing of property in which P has a beneficial interest without obtaining further authority from the Court.

If the Deputy order does not contain such a restriction, then the Deputy can proceed with the sale however it is advisable to still make an application if the sale is likely to be contentious, there is a potential conflict of interest or the property has been gifted under a Will.

When P is a co-owner?

Someone acting as an attorney under a registered power of attorney automatically acquires trustee functions in respect of trusts of land under the Trustee Delegation Act 1999. This means that in principle, an attorney is able to sell property belonging to the protected party without making an application to the Court, providing the other conditions are met.

Conversely, a Deputy is specifically restricted from carrying out trustee functions as part of their Deputyship powers under section 20(3)(c) of the Mental Capacity Act 2005. As such, an application must be made to the Court of Protection to appoint a trustee. The trustee does not have to be the Deputy however they can be – if the Deputy is appointed as trustee he should remember that these are separate roles and he will therefore have to act differently depending on which role he is acting in.

The process where there is an existing and capable co-owner

Where there is another existing trustee that is able to act, the Court application must be made under Section 36(9) of the Trustee Act 1925. A number of forms will be required including a COP12 which is a special undertaking by trustees and a COP1D which provides additional information relevant to appointing a new trustee.

The process where there is not an existing and capable co-owner

Where P is the only continuing trustee, normally resulting from the co-owner having passed away or a joint tenancy having been severed, an application to the Court needs to be made under section 54 of the Trustee Act 1925 and a minimum of 2 trustees must be appointed. The same forms are submitted as for where there is a continuing trustee however, additional documentation must be filed such as a copy of the notice of severance or a copy of the Will and grant of representation.

If you need advice in making an application to sell P’s property, please do not hesitate to contact us and we will be more than happy to assist you.

* Disclaimer: The information on the Anthony Gold website is for general information only and reflects the position at the date of publication. It does not constitute legal advice and should not be treated as such. It is provided without any representations or warranties, express or implied.*

David Wedgwood

Head of Civil Litigation Joint Head of Court of Protection

Get in touch

Call, email or use a contact form – whichever suits you. We’ll let you know the best person to help you get started.

Call or Email

020 7940 4060

No comments

Add your comment

We need your name and email address to make sure you’re a real person. We won’t share your email address with anyone else or send you spam. Please complete fields marked with *.

Leave a Reply

Your email address and phone number will not be published on the website. Other visitors will not be able to see your contact information. Required fields are marked *

Contact Us

How can we help?

Request a Call Back

How can we help?