People Insights
Contact Us
Get in touch
Contact Us
Published On: July 31, 2017 | Blog | 0 comments

Should I appoint a Deputy or an Attorney?

Lasting Powers of Attorney (LPAs) and Deputyship Orders are legal mechanisms by which the appointed person can make decisions on behalf of a person who lacks mental capacity. The types of decisions include dealing with their property and affairs or health and welfare.

LPA’s can only be made by a person before they lose mental capacity. The individual, known formally as the donor, makes a fully informed choice about whom they want to appoint to act on their behalf if they lose their mental capacity at some point in the future.

It is a useful preparatory step to take and allows an individual greater control to decide whether they would like a relative/friend to act as their attorney or whether a professional should be appointed to act instead. The individual is also able to set out exactly which decisions they would like their chosen attorney(s) to make on their behalf and they can set out certain restrictions on their decision-making powers.

A Deputy is appointed following an application to the Court, made by a third party on behalf of an individual, after they have lost (or are suspected to have lost) their mental capacity.  A Deputy will be required where no other provision has been made to deal with an incapacitated persons affairs.

The application is made to the Court of Protection and is often presented to the Court by a third party such as a family member, friend, social services or a professional advisor such as a solicitor.  The application process is a formal one and requires the person making the application to file evidence on capacity.  It is important to ensure that the evidence is presented in accordance with the Mental Capacity Act 2005 and that the applicant is a suitable candidate for Deputy.

* Disclaimer: The information on the Anthony Gold website is for general information only and reflects the position at the date of publication. It does not constitute legal advice and should not be treated as such. It is provided without any representations or warranties, express or implied.*

Get in touch

Call, email or use a contact form – whichever suits you. We’ll let you know the best person to help you get started.

Call or Email

020 7940 4060

No comments

Add your comment

We need your name and email address to make sure you’re a real person. We won’t share your email address with anyone else or send you spam. Please complete fields marked with *.

Leave a Reply

Your email address and phone number will not be published on the website. Other visitors will not be able to see your contact information. Required fields are marked *

Contact Us

How can we help?

Request a Call Back

How can we help?