People Insights
Contact Us
Get in touch
Contact Us
Published On: September 17, 2018 | Blog | 0 comments

How do I stop an estate being administered?- How do I put in a caveat?

If you believe that a will is invalid or have concerns about the people who intend to apply for a Grant, you may wish to enter a caveat.  You can do so at any time before a Grant is sealed by the Probate Registry but you must be over 18.

The effect of a caveat is that no application for a Grant can proceed until your caveat is removed or a period of six months has passed (at which point you can apply to extend your caveat for a further six months if necessary).

This can be a useful tool to buy you time to investigate your claim and try to resolve your concerns. It is always preferable to resolve such claims at this early stage.

Entering a caveat is a straightforward process. You can enter a caveat in person or through a solicitor at any Probate Registry or sub-registry. It can also be done by post. A copy of the form can be found online through the link below and the fee is currently £20:

However, it is always important to proceed with an air of caution. If you are later served with a warning (the procedure of which is dealt with in our blogs) you must be able to state your genuine grounds for entering the caveat. If you are unable to do so it may result in contentious probate proceedings being started, and a costs order being made against you by the Probate Registry.

We would recommend that you seek legal advice before taking any action. If you require assistance, please do not hesitate to contact a member of our Contentious Probate team.

Get in touch

Call, email or use a contact form – whichever suits you. We’ll let you know the best person to help you get started.

Call or Email

020 7940 4060


Add your comment

We need your name and email address to make sure you’re a real person. We won’t share your email address with anyone else or send you spam. Please complete fields marked with *.

2 thoughts on “How do I stop an estate being administered?- How do I put in a caveat?

  1. Hello,
    Before I continue with anything I am wondering if you can answer a question.

    Can you put a caveat on if administration has been granted. I was never told that my brother was even applying for this. I look online and found the probate records. If a caveat can’t be issued is it possible to add myself to be administration.

    Three Brother sorting out a siblings estate in the middle of a family feud is never going to work. We are the only surviving family my sibling was not married and did not have children.

    Many thanks,
    Leigh Bagnall

    1. Many thanks for your questions which we have passed on to the relevant team. A member of that team will contact you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address and phone number will not be published on the website. Other visitors will not be able to see your contact information. Required fields are marked *

Contact Us

How can we help?

Request a Call Back

How can we help?