People Insights
Contact Us
Get in touch
Contact Us
Published On: February 12, 2020 | Blog | 0 comments

Transferring property following a financial remedy order: what if the other party refuses to cooperate?

A property adjustment order is one of the orders that the court has the power to make in determining financial arrangements on divorce, and this can include the transfer of property from one party to another.

To put a transfer of property order into effect, it will be necessary for the parties to execute a transfer deed (Form TR1). If there is a mortgage on the property then it will also be necessary to obtain the mortgagee’s consent, although this blog focuses on the TR1 itself, assuming that the other relevant requirements have been fulfilled.

If one party neglects or refuses to execute the TR1 pursuant to the transfer of property order, or they cannot after reasonable inquiry be found, the court may make an order that the TR1 is executed on behalf of that party (s.39 of the Senior Courts Act, as applied by s.38 County Court Act 1984). This may be done by such person as the court nominates, although will often be done by a District Judge, and will have the same effect as if the TR1 had been executed by the party themselves.

Ideally, if it is anticipated that one party might fail to cooperate with the implementation of a transfer of property order, provision should be included within the financial remedy order itself. Such provision would allow for a District Judge to execute the transfer, should the other party fail to cooperate within a certain timescale.

If there is no such provision within the financial remedy order, a separate application will need to be made to the family court and a hearing may be listed.

If you find yourself in this position it is important that you seek legal advice as early as possible, to ensure that an application can be made to court promptly if necessary. This will be especially important where the transfer is conditional upon the transferee re-mortgaging the property in their sole name, and their re-mortgage offer is time limited.

If you would like further information on this issue please contact our Family Team on 0207 940 4000.

*Disclaimer: The information on the Anthony Gold website is for general information only and reflects the position at the date of publication. It does not constitute legal advice and should not be treated as such. It is provided without any representations or warranties, express or implied.*

Get in touch

Call, email or use a contact form – whichever suits you. We’ll let you know the best person to help you get started.

Call or Email

020 7940 4060


Add your comment

We need your name and email address to make sure you’re a real person. We won’t share your email address with anyone else or send you spam. Please complete fields marked with *.

2 thoughts on “Transferring property following a financial remedy order: what if the other party refuses to cooperate?

  1. Hi

    I have a court order for my ex to transfer Tr1 however 10 years later nothing

    Can you help me to enforce via court judge signing

    1. Dear Nathan,
      Thanks for your comment. A member of the team will get in touch with you shortly. Kind Regards

Leave a Reply

Your email address and phone number will not be published on the website. Other visitors will not be able to see your contact information. Required fields are marked *

Contact Us

How can we help?

Request a Call Back

How can we help?