People Insights
Contact Us
Get in touch
Contact Us
Published On: June 19, 2020 | Blog | 0 comments

I am expecting to receive a distribution from a relative’s estate. How can I check whether someone has been granted the authority to distribute their estate?

Unless the estate is a small estate, comprising only excluded assets, the executor will be required to obtain a Grant of Probate from the Probate Registry in order to have the authority to administer the estate.  A grant of probate may not be required where, for example, the estate does not contain any real estate, where assets are jointly owned, where the assets in the estate are of relatively low value, or where the estate is comprised of investment or pension policies in which the deceased has nominated a third party to receive the benefit of the policy.  Our probate team is able to advise clients, in individual cases, of whether or not a grant of probate is required.

If a grant of probate is applied for and granted, a public record will be created fourteen days after the grant.

You can check whether Probate has been granted for the estate of anyone who has died in England or Wales, whether or not they left a will, you can visit the website and enter the deceased’s surname and year of death here.

If the record is available, you can order a copy of the Probate record (including the will if there is one) for a fee of £1.50.

If your relative has passed away within the last six months and you are unsure whether Probate has been granted, you can ask to receive a copy of the Probate record when it is issued. This is called a ‘standing search’. This ensures that you are notified when a grant is obtained. If you do not receive a notification within six months you can apply to extend the standing search for another six months for an additional fee. Any extension should be made within one month of the expiry date.

It should also be noted that a person is only permitted to bring a claim for reasonable financial provision under the ‘Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975’ if a grant of representation has been taken out.  A standing search is, therefore, a useful tool if you are considering bringing a claim under that Act.

You can apply for a standing search by submitting Form PA1S. There is a fee of £10. This fee includes one copy of the will and grant (when issued). Please see here for Form PA1S.

You can also send this by post to the following address:

The Postal Copies and Searches Department

District Probate Registry

York House

31 York Place



Alternatively, if you use the DX postal service you can send the form by DX to:

DX 26451 Leeds Park Square

Should you require any assistance with issues arising from Probate, please do not hesitate to contact our Contentious Probate team.

*Disclaimer: The information on the Anthony Gold website is for general information only and reflects the position at the date of publication. It does not constitute legal advice and should not be treated as such. It is provided without any representations or warranties, express or implied.*

Get in touch

Call, email or use a contact form – whichever suits you. We’ll let you know the best person to help you get started.

Call or Email

020 7940 4060


Add your comment

We need your name and email address to make sure you’re a real person. We won’t share your email address with anyone else or send you spam. Please complete fields marked with *.

8 thoughts on “I am expecting to receive a distribution from a relative’s estate. How can I check whether someone has been granted the authority to distribute their estate?

  1. How can I find out if my mother left a will.My half sister was execetor and wont tell me

  2. Hello, I am concerned that a family will is not going to be distributed correctly due to a beneficiary passing away intestate (they proceeded the deceased by more than 28 days). Can a record of the distribution of assets be obtained?

    1. Hi Mary, thank you for your comment. A member of the team will get in touch with you shortly to see if we are able to help.

Leave a Reply

Your email address and phone number will not be published on the website. Other visitors will not be able to see your contact information. Required fields are marked *

Contact Us

How can we help?

Request a Call Back

How can we help?