David Emmerson OBE is a partner at Anthony Gold. He specialises in family law and relationship breakdowns and is based in our South London offices at London Bridge and is the Winner of the John Cornwell Award 2023.
David has particular expertise in helping separating couples resolve complex financial issues and child arrangements. He is experienced at dealing with both pre and post-nuptial settlements as well as co-habitation law.
As an accredited mediator, a hybrid accredited mediator and an experienced Collaborative family lawyer, David aims to resolve disputes outside of Court. Almost all of David’s clients have been referred by previous clients, fellow professionals and judges.
David is chair of Resolution’s Dispute Resolution committee and a part time District Judge accredited to undertake complex financial remedy proceedings and Children Act cases, giving him a unique perspective and knowledge in successfully resolving cases.
David is the winner of Resolution’s (the organisation of family law professionals) Lifetime Achievement Award 2023 for exceptional contribution to and innovative development of the out-of-court settlement of family disputes. In particular for his remarkable, outstanding and sustained contribution to family justice and the high quality and success rate of his out-of-court resolution, such as mediation and Collaborative practice.
In June 2004 David was awarded an OBE for his work in legal services nationally and particularly in London.
David has been recommended as an expert family lawyer and mediator by the Legal 500 and Chambers Directory.
- Winner of Resolution’s John Cornwell award for exceptional achievement in family law.
- David has written many articles for Family Law, The Law Society Gazette, New Law Journal, Family Law Week, Resolution’s Revue and the Solicitor’s journal. He has been interviewed on family law matters by the BBC, the Daily Telegraph, Guardian, Observer and Independent.
- David is the author of Butterworth’s Family Law Service domestic abuse; mediation and collaborative practice sections and is a co-author of Resolution’s Family Law Handbook.
- David chairs Resolution’s Dispute Resolution committee which deals with mediation, collaborative practice and arbitration. Resolution is the national organisation that represents over 6500 family law and dispute resolution professionals. He was a national committee member for 18 years.
- Member of Thomson Reuters Practical Law Family and Lexis Nexis’ editorial boards.
- David was an Anti – Discrimination/Serious case Panel Chair for the Football Association as part of their strategy of combating all forms of discrimination in football from 2008-2022.